The Q&A Archives: Horse Manure

Question: I have access to a lot of horse manure. How much should I till into the vegetable garden? This garden is mostly
tomatoes. Should I lime it or put a high nitrogen fertilizer to help it break down or leave it alone till next spring? Is it o.k. to use it on flowers that need fertile soil?

Answer: Aged manure is a wonderful soil amendment and is an excellent addition to both vegetable and flower garden soil. To determine how much to add of any type of amendment, be it manure or lime or fertilizer, you should consider running some basic soil tests. Your County Extension (727-7850) can help you with the tests and with interpreting the results. One other point to keep in mind with horse manure is that it contains any number of weed seeds and does best if incorporated below the surface of the soil so that those seeds can't germinate. Another method of dealing with the potential weed problem is to compost it in a hot pile to kill the seeds.