The Q&A Archives: What Zone Tovara?

Question: I purchased a perennial called knotweed (Persicaria filiforma "Painters Palette"(Tovara)
This information was on the Marker with the following information: Unusual perennial. Sprays of dark red, beadlike flowers bloom above broad varigated, heartshaped leaves. Grows 2' tall.

Well the plant may be a little taller than 2', but the leaves are varigated with reddish stems, a very pretty plant which has bushed out quite a bit and put out lots of whip-like stems at the top where the flowers are starting to open. Unfortunately, we are in zone 3-4, and though I have been covering it at night, the cold has taken its toll on the flowering. Many of the whips have broken off or bent with the weight of the cover, and not so many will probably flower now. I have no idea what zone this plant is--if not very hardy, I'll have to dig it up for the winter very soon!!! Please advise as soon as possible. Thank You Very Much!!!! I couldn't locate the plant at so maybe you will provide exceptional service!!

Thanks Again!!! Mary Pat Blanding

Answer: Unfortunately, this lovely plant is rated hardy only to zone 6.