The Q&A Archives: Eucalyptus Globulus

Question: I have a six-foot eucalyptus globulus plant outside in my garden and would like to bring it in for the winter. What size container will I need? Will I need special soil or feeding materials? Any precautions?

Answer: Eucalyptus globulus, or Blue Gum, has the potential to reach 150' to 200' in height! They're hardy to about 20F degrees outdoors, and are often grown as street trees in Southern California. You may be successful in keeping your tree indoors during the winter months, but it's probably very young and will grow enough in the next few summers to make it impossible to continue to bring it indoors indefinitely. At six feet in height, your tree will need a container that's 18-24 inches deep. Be sure it has drainage holes so the soil won't remain soggy after watering. Regular potting soil is a good growing medium for Eucalyptus. Fertilize in the spring when new growth begins after you've taken the plant outdoors.