The Q&A Archives: Screening Hedge

Question: I have a large area I want to screen from view, about 80 yards long. Is there a shrub or hedge that is affordable to plant to screen such a large area? It needs to be fast growing and will grow to a height of 15 feet or more.

Answer: When given a choice, most homeowners prefer an evergreen shrub over one that loses its leaves in the winter. Here are some suggestions for broadleaf evergreen hedges: Escollonia, Glossy Abelia, bamboo (many kinds), Elaeagnus, Nandina, Photinia, Viburnum, Holly and Vaccinium ovatum (Evergreen Huckleberry). Needle-type evergreens include Yew and Thuja. You can start with plants in one-gallon containers and space them six feet apart. Next year purchase additional one-gallon sized plants and put them in the spaces between the established plants. By the third year you can prune them so they're equal in size. Most of the suggested plants will grow quickly and fill in nicely.