The Q&A Archives: Pale Brugmansia Blooms

Question: My angel trumpet tree (Brugmansia versicolor) that I purchased in a collection last year isn't blooming in the color that it's supposed to (salmon-pink). The collection that I ordered included two other brugmansias: candida and suaveolens (yellow and white) which are blooming very true to color. The pH is the same in each pot, but the first plant still blooms almost a pure white that is very faintly tinged with pink.Could the color finally deepen with age, or is it a nutrient deficiency?

Answer: Brugmansias are a varied genus. Your plant may be another species, or a cross, or possibly even a genetic mutation of a species. White flowers tinged with pink are not uncommon in Brugmansias, and may even be a rough description of some Brugmansia versicolor cultivars. You may want to purchase another B. versicolor plant, but I'd also keep the one you have. It probably has a good fragrance as many of them do!

Below I have listed a company that specializes in Brugmansias. They may offer some selections that would appeal to you. Make sure and check out their web site as it has great pictures and a brief discussion of the various Brugmansia species!

Native Habitat Landscaping; PO Box 644023; Vero Beach, FL 32964-4023

Thanks for the question!