The Q&A Archives: Double Freesias Bulbs

Question: I recently purchased Double Freesias bulbs and the instructions indicate they should be planted in the spring.
I plan to plant the bulbs in containers and would like to know if I can plant them in the fall?

Answer: Freesia's are native to South Africa and won't survive your winter if planted in pots outdoors. If you want to plant them now, take the pots indoors and grow them near a sunny window. Once the plants have bloomed, they will lose their foliage and go into dormancy. So, bottom line is, if you plant them in the fall, you'll need to grow them indoors. If you plant them in the spring, you can leave them outdoors, where they will flower in the summer. The corms will need some winter chill, so store them in a garage, or other unheated (but above freezing) place until spring planting time.