The Q&A Archives: Growing Tulips

Question: Does more than one bloom grow from a tulip bulb? I'd like to plant a tulip bed this fall and am trying to plan it. Any other suggestions you would be appreciated. (I'm also on a very low budget).

Answer: Each tulip bulb will produce only one flower per season. To have masses of color, you'll have to plant lots of bulbs. But your initial investment will eventually reap larger rewards because tulip bulbs will develop little bulblets, that will someday turn into mature bulbs, that will flower. You can brighten up your tulip bed by sowing annual or perennial seeds, or by filling in the bare spots with inexpensive primroses and pansies. It takes time to have a great garden, so plant what you can afford and focus on the long-range goal!