The Q&A Archives: Coleus Indoors

Question: I recently brought about 12 of my coleus plants indoors to keep them for the winter. Two of them are looking just terrible, losing their leaves and fading. Any suggestions to help them? Do they need to be kept moist all the time in winter months?

Answer: Coleus will grow nicely indoors if given enough light (supplement with artificial light to give about 12 hours of bright light each day). Coleus need rich, loose, well-draining soil, and ample water while they're growing. If your plants are losing their leaves, they may be adjusting to the drier indoor environment and the change in light intensity. Pinch the stems back to encourage new growth, keep the soil moist, but not soggy, and place the plants about six inches below a source of artificial light. These conditions should help your plants perk up and thrive indoors during the winter months.