The Q&A Archives: Green Zebra Tomatoes

Question: Was in a local grocery store a week ago and found a little green tomato called a Green Zebra. They told me at the store it was mainly used for decoration on food trays. It doesn`t have a bad taste at all but what else can you do with them?

Answer: Horror of horrors! Those folks at the store are selling our little green striped friends way short. I have grown Green Zebra in Texas for several years and find them to be a great tomato. They are fairly disease resistant, very tasty and quite novel...certainly more than just a decoration! You can use them any way you would use any other tomato variety as they are a true tomato.

Next summer grow your own and you will become a fan, I'm sure. Let the areas between the dark green stripes start to turn orange before picking them. That's when they are getting good and ripe.

Thanks for the question!