The Q&A Archives: Zinnias

Question: I grew zinnias from one of your "mats" this year, and they were beautiful. The problem was that they got too tall and fell over in the fall. What should I go next year to keep this from happening?

Answer: Sometimes tall growing plants can get quite top heavy. To keep them upright, try tying each to a stake. When using seed tape or mats, it's important to prepare the garden bed prior to placing the pre-planted seeds. Dig to a depth of 6-8 inches, incorporating organic matter to help loosen the soil (for easy root penetration). Then lay the mat or seed tape on the surface and cover with a little additional soil. This extra step will ensure the plants can develop a healthy root system capable of anchoring them in the soil.