The Q&A Archives: Rubber Plant

Question: I have a rubber plant that was doing great, I was getting a new leaf every 3 weeks. Then I transplanted it about 2 months ago, and now nothing. I've had it about 6 months, it's maybe a foot and 1/2 tall. Is it because I killed it by transplanting it? I had this problem before with another one, it'll be doing fine until I put it in a bigger pot. Or will it start growing again when it gets a little warmer next spring?

Answer: Ficus elastica, your rubber plant, is sulking because you repotted it. These plants do best when slightly pot-bound and should only be repotted every 2-3 years. Winter is a natural resting time for houseplants, so don't expect any new growth until early next spring. In the meantime, water sparingly, and keep your plant out of cold drafts.