The Q&A Archives: Naked Lady

Question: I am looking for where I can order the bulb known as Naked Lady. I know it is called that because it grows straight up with nothing on it until it flowers around July. I also think it is a bi-annual bulb. Does anyone know where I can order this bulb. Possibly, it is a spring bulb only?
Thank you!

Answer: I believe you are looking for a bulb known as Lycoris. I have heard this bulb known commonly as Naked Lady, Magic Lily, and Resurrection Lily. They are most unusual, having green strappy foliage in July, they drop foliage, and then a brilliant bloom in late July or August. Sound familiar? If that is what you are looking for, they are hardy in zones 7-10 (6 with some winter protection) and are available from Van Bourgondien at 1-800-552-9996. By the way, it isn't biennial, and it should be planted in the spring.