The Q&A Archives: Propagation of Hibiscus

Question: How do I propagate a hibiscus plant? Everything I've read said it has to be planted by seed. I would like to know if it can be done from cuttings. If so when is the best time to start and how do I go about it?

Answer: Hibiscus can be propagated by seed, stem cuttings, or root division. Stem cuttings should be taken in late spring, when the wood is new and vigorous. The cuttings will require bottom heat (70F), and high humidity. Take a 4-6 inch section of a new stem and cut it from the parent plant. Remove leaves on the lower one-third of the stem, dip the cut end in rooting hormone, and place it into moistened peat or seed starting mix. Then place 3 sticks into the soil to act as supports for an inverted plastic bag. Your cutting and its accompanying portable greenhouse should be placed on a propagation mat to provide bottom heat. You'll know the cutting has rooted when new leaves appear on the stem. Once new growth has begun, remove the plastic bag and turn off the heating mat. Be sure to provide bright light during the rooting process, but keep the cuttings out of direct sunlight. (The plastic bag will intensify the heat and your cuttings could die.) Good luck with your new hibiscus!