The Q&A Archives: Bulbs in Containers

Question: I am force growing some tulips and grape hyacinths in baskets. Right now they are in the garage and I plan on bringing them in when I see the green tips. Am I doing this correctly? What is the best way to force grow bulbs in baskets?

Answer: Your spring blooming bulbs will need a 12 week period of cold and dark to force them into bloom. A garage is a good place to store them during this cold treatment. You can bring the bulbs indoors when the tips have grown about one-inch tall. Make sure they're in a cool place indoors or they will grow too quickly and the stems and foliage will be pale and spindly. Ideal temperature is 50F - 55F degrees. Once the flowers and foliage have emerged, you can keep them at average room temperatures.