The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Tender Plants

Question: I purchased a 3' tall LYCIANTHES at our local Hardy Plant Society sale. I then discovered that this plant is native to China and is not going to survive in Portland, Oregon's Zone 7. Can I bring it in my garage (with my geraniums)
under plant lights for the winter and should I wait until our first frost to do this?

Answer: Lycianthes (Paraguay Nightshade) is a tender perennial that needs protection from frost. The roots will overwinter, but the plant will lose its leaves during the winter months. Don't wait until your first frost, but take the plant into the garage, so it can rest over the winter months. As the weather warms, you'll see new green buds. Take it outdoors and put it in a protected place so it can readjust to being outside. Eventually put into in a sunny site and keep the soil on the dry side.