The Q&A Archives: Filling Hole in Tree Trunk

Question: Recently, I had a large branch removed from an old tree. There is a hollow left in the remainder of the trunk about 1-2 feet deep. What material should I fill the hollow with to preserve the tree and prevent moisture from accumulating? I would like to save the tree.

Answer: To be honest this does not sound like a home-gardener type of project. Unfortunately, depending on the location and cause of the hole or cavity, there may or may not be a way to save the tree for the long term. The best way to determine if it can be done is to consult with a professionally trained arborist who is up-to-date on current research and methods. Such a professional will do an on-site evaluation and discuss the possible alternatives with you. Good luck with your tree!