The Q&A Archives: Trimming Onion Seedling Leaves

Question: I purchased Sweet Sandwich' onion seeds from you back in January and started them weeks ago. The seedlings are getting their third and fourth leaves and are practically laying down. Should I trim them back or let them continue to grow this long? I thought I read somewhere that you should keep onion seedlings 3 inches long but can't find that information and I know onions need as much foliage as possible to form nice bulbs. I have them growing in seed-starting medium under grow lights and they have plenty of room for their roots. I just don't know if I should trim some of those long leaves that are bending over. Please advise. Marti Craig Canonsburg, PA

Answer: Yes, you can give your onion seedlings a haircut. Just snip them about 1/3rd the way down to keep the leaves strong and stimulate better root growth. Also, don't over fertilize with nitrogen fertilizer while these seedling are young. It will stilumatetoo much weak top growth.