The Q&A Archives: Caring for Rosemary

Question: I've managed to keep some rosemary plant(s) going for several years (sometimes barely) by keeping it in a pot year-round and bringing it indoors in winter. I've now learned I need to water less and keep cool in winter for dormancy. My problem is thatI can never get any of my rosemary plants to bloom (in winter or summer!). I understand from folklore that a blooming rosemary brings good luck to the household. This is no doubt because they are so difficult to flower? Help! And, thanks. Catherine S. Pond Hancock, NH

Answer: You seem to be taking care of your rosemary correctly -- keeping it potted year-round, bringing it indoors in the winter, keeping it cool indoors (if possible, keep at about 55 degrees). If your plants are getting large and unwieldy, you might try taking some cuttings and rooting those. Once you bring them outdoors, be sure the plants are getting full sunshine, keep moist but not wet, misted a few times a week with warm water and don't overfertilize. You can try sinking the plant, pot and all, into the garden -- this will help keep roots cool and moist. Just dig up again in the fall and bring indoors.