The Q&A Archives: Croton Care

Question: When I bought my Croton, it was BEAUTIFUL! Now is has a few leaves. It loses 3 or 4 daily. I've changed it from one room to another, from directly in front of the window to a corner, and I spray its leaves daily. What should I do to bring it back to the foliage it once had?

Answer: The Croton is a popular houseplant because of its vividly colored foliage. But, for all its beauty, it is a fussy plant. Yours doesn't seem happy at all. Crotons need a fairly constant temperature, never below 60F degrees, and it needs high air humidity. The potting soil needs to be kept moist at all times, and you should use tepid, rather than cold water. It doesn't like drafts, and it thrives on bright light, but not direct sunlight. Since your plant is losing leaves at an alarming rate, it's obvious not all of its needs are being met. Try placing it near an east or west facing window, misting the leaves daily, keeping the room temperature above 60F (even at night), and keeping the soil moist, but not soggy wet. Don't fertilize until it recovers and begins to produce new leaves. Good luck with your plant!