The Q&A Archives: Source for Bauhinea

Question: I am searching for information on Bauhinea-luguminosae particularly information on growing, on the plants and particularly how to care for it, information on the plants, species, etc. I understand it is a tropical and can be housegrown. Also do youhave any catalogs specifically for my tropical garden, a seed source for the Caribbean. Elizebeth Hourie Palfrey Rankin Inlet, NT Canada

Answer: There are about 250 species of Bauhinia, all of which belong to the family Leguminosae. They include evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs, and woody climbers. They are native to the tropics and subtropics. They are grown as landscape plants in warmregions of Florida, California, and Hawaii. It the literature I consulted, no mention was made of indoor growing. All the varieties listed grew to large plants -- from 8-10 foot shrubs to 30-foot trees to 100-foot long vines. Some cultivated, miniature varieties developed for indoor gardens may exist. A good catalog to consult for more information is, Brudy's Exotics P.O. Box 820874 Houston, TX 77282-0874 800-926-7333