The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus Rose of Sharon

Question: Now that it is fall, I am trying to prepare my garden for the winter months. I've only been at my new address a year or so and was pleased to discover this summer a gorgeous hibiscus plant. Should I cut this bush back for the fall? How can I insure it looks as good next year?

Answer: The hardy hibiscus shrub (Rose of Sharon) is very easy to care for. The best time to prune it is late winter. Cut it back hard to stimulate more branching and new growth. The shrub leafs out very late in the spring, so be patient. The flower buds will form on the current season's growth, so don't prune it during the spring or summer. You might wish to give it some balanced fertilizer in early spring according to the package instructions, and water it in case of an extended dry period. Other than that, it really requires very little routine care.