The Q&A Archives: Reasons Why Plum Trees Won't Fruit

Question: In the spring, my plum trees have blossoms and what appear to be fruit. Several weeks later, the fruit are all gone (gone where?). I spray and use insect traps. The best I can come up with is squirrels. Harvey Chess Springfield,VT

Answer: It sounds like you are having pollination problems. To get fruit, two different cultivars of the same plum family are necessary. For example, two of the same type of tree, or one European-type and one American-type, will not cross-pollinate and the result is often lots of flowers and tiny fruit which drop before maturing. Further complicating plum pollination is the fact that the two types of trees must flower at the same time. Squirrels may be collecting the dropped fruit; I suppose they could also be climbing through the branches and "harvesting"--that would be an interesting sight to see! Late spring frosts may also be damaging your flowers/fruits.