The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Potatoes from Seed

Question: Could you please give me any tips on planting potatoes from potato seedlings? Debbie Hunter Waldorf, MD

Answer: I'm not sure if you mean potatoes grown from actual potato seeds, or from "seed potatoes". By far most growers grow potatoes from seed potatoes -- pieces of actual potatoes that contain one or more "eyes" (sprouting points). It is possible to growpotatoes from actual seeds collected from potato flowers, but this is rarely done since the plants grow so slowly. Potatoes grown from potato pieces grow much more quickly, since they have lots of food reserves in the form of carbohydrates in the potato. Plant seed potatoes in deep, well-drained but moist soil. For the first several weeks, as the potato plants grow, hill up soil around them, leaving just the tops of the plants exposed. The buried part of the plant will develop roots and help giveplenty of space in the soil for forming the potato tubers.