The Q&A Archives: Chiltecpin Peppers

Question: If I start Chiltecpins now, and when they get big enough transplant into 8 inch pots, place in a hot bed in April and
then transplant into field in mid June, is there any chance I would get a least some productivity ? The plants
are listed as a 150 day plant and at best I have maybe 80 days of true pepper growing weather.

Answer: Sounds like a reasonable plan, and it just might work - but it really depends upon your summer weather. Pepper plants require long, warm days to mature to the point where they are able to produce blossoms, which will develop into fruits. You can help things along by using black plastic mulch under your pepper plants to help trap and radiate heat, and to keep the roots warm. There's a variety of Chiltecpin called 'Bird's Eye' that matures in 120 days. Growing these might give you even better chance of success. Good luck with your pepper plants!