The Q&A Archives: Black Spots on Aloe Vera

Question: The old leaves of my aloe vera are showing little black dots. What is wrong, and what can I do about it?

Answer: With indoor plants, it's sometimes difficult to determine the cause of problems. If the spots are tiny and don't move, that rules out an insect, but might indicate that flies or other insects have visited long enough to leave a deposit. If the spots remain the same size, that generally rules out disease. Try wiping the spots off with a dampened soft cloth. If they refuse to come off, get a closer look with a magnifying glass. Aloe's are relatively healthy plants, but overly damp conditions could trigger development of fungal diseases, especially at the crown and the roots of the plant. You can watch the spots to see if they grow. If they do, or if the foliage begins to show sunken or tan-colored areas, cut the affected leaves from the plant. A little pruning will encourage the growth of new, healthy leaves.