The Q&A Archives: Cucuzzi (Italian Squash) Turning Brown

Question: My cucuzzies turn brown after they start growing a few inches. It bears a few mature veggies throughout the season, but most are lost from rottening on the vine. What to do?

Answer: The problem is most likely fungal or bacterial diseases attacking the fruit. The wet scar formed when the flower detaches from the fruit is a prime site for infection if conditions are right. Fungicide or bactericide sprays can help, but cultural techniques like not overwatering, using a drip watering system rather than constant overhead sprinkling, and growing vines on a trellis to improve air circulation all will help significantly. I have grown cucuzzi on a trellis for years and have not had a significant problem with fruit rot.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the question!