The Q&A Archives: Cobbitty Daisies

Question: My healthy cobbitty daisies are falling away (separating) in the middle. Is this an indication that I need to cut them back?

Answer: Your plant, Arguranthemem frutescens, is also known as Marguerite Daisy. To keep the plants looking attractive, and to encourage additional blooms, the stems should be cut back throughout the summer. If the stems have become woody, they will not produce new green stems, so don't prune back so severely that you cut off all the green and have only woody stems left on the plants. If you keep trimming the green growth, your plant won't become top-heavy and begin to fall over on itself. Marguerite daisies last only 2-3 years before turning scraggly. If yours has gotten to that point, it might be best to dig it and replace it with a new one. Then you can keep ahead of the game by routinely pinching and pruning to keep it compact.