The Q&A Archives: Radishes Are All Leaves

Question: Charlie... help! Read all the FAQ's about radishes. But everything you said to do, I've done. Plant my radishes in rich, loamy soil (rototilled with peat moss and humus). Use fresh seeds. Even bought seeds from different companies. Spot gets sun about 6 hrs/day. Still do not get bulbs. Mostly spindly stems with lots of green leaves on top. No bugs. Been using pelleted 5-5-5 for the nearby green peppers. They, and the parsley, thrive. Not my radishes.

Any ideas what my problem is?

Answer: Maybe you have been too "nice" to them! Usually it is one of two things: either there is too much nitrogen or you have planted them too late. They are not terrribly heavy feeders so a well-worked and deep, well-drained yet moist soil with a pH between 6 and 8 should be sufficient. Radishes can be planted quite early and really grow best when temperatures are very cool, ranging from 60 to 65 degrees. Since it sounds like you have spent some effort on your garden soil, you might be able to cut back on some of the fertilizing when it comes to radishes.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"