The Q&A Archives: Tomato Blossom Set Hormone Spray

Question: I would like to know if there are any hormones that induce flowering in tomato plants, If so, please tell me what the name of this hormone and where I can purchase it.

Answer: Rather than to induce flowering, fruit set hormone spray (also called blossom set spray) is sometimes used on tomatoes to discourage blossom drop. Blossom drop is quite common early in the season but can be caused by a number of factors: low temperatures (below 60), high temperatures (above 80), or too much nitrogen. Although some gardeners swear by its effectiveness, in my experience the spray made little difference. Although Burpee does not carry it, the spray is usually available in larger garden centers in the spring and through some mail order suppliers including J.W. Jung Seed Co. (800-247-5864). Good luck with your tomatoes!