The Q&A Archives: Hardy Grass for Cold

Question: Our area is very dry--less than 10" of precipitation a year. Our soil has little or no organic matter, and is highly alkaline. Our high-altitude sun is very hot and our winters are cold (Zone 4). I plan to enrich my soil, but I still want a lawn that will be beautiful all summer. I don't want to starve in order to pay my water bill. What's the best grass for our harsh conditions? Janie Bionaz Eagle, CO

Answer: The first grass that comes to mind for your area and conditions is buffalo grass. Breeders have been working with this Midwest native, dry climate grass to make it more "turf-like". The newer varieties don't require much water or mowing, but you may still need to amend the soil with compost... before planting to get it established. Contact the following company for seed and information, Stock Seed Farms 28008 Mill Rd. Murdock, NE 68407-2350 402-867-3771