The Q&A Archives: Seeking Cotton Seed

Question: I am interested in obtaining a small amount of cotton seed to just enjoy at home for the fun of growing. I am a teacher and am always looking for interesting changes to my curriculum. I cannot seem to locate any in my area; although, the famed Huntington Gardens are less than a mile from my home and they grow a "patch" in the spring. Could you inform me as to how I might obtain some seed.

Answer: The National Cotton Council offers educators a free 12 page booklet entitiled "Story of Cotton" which comes with a packet of cotton seeds plus growing instructions. Teachers can request up to 30 free booklets and seed packets. Contact: National Cotton Council, P. O. Box 12285, Memphis, TN, 38182. Phone (901) 274-9030. Hope your project is successful!