The Q&A Archives: Choosing a Palm Tree

Question: I am in the process of planting palm trees in my backyard and would like to know which you could recommend. The trees will be in the farthest 2 corners of my background and would like something that will look nice but not get extremely tall and leggy maybe something that would grow no more than 8-10 feet. Being the fact that they will be in the back two corners of my backyard they will be open to the wind and all the elements of a fenceless backyard.

Answer: There are quite a few that would be candidates for your yard. Here are some ones to consider:
Windmill Palm (LY), Trachycarpus fortunei
Slender Lady Palm, Rhapis humilis
European Fan Palm, Chamaerops humilis (A little smaller than your 8-10' range)
Broad-leaf Lady Palm, Rhapis excelsa (Marginally hardy in your area)
Needle Palm, Rhapidophyllum hystrix (A little smaller than your 8-10' range)
Butia Palm, Butia capitata (A little larger than your 8-10' range. The only feather leaves palm in this list.)

For more information on these and other palms, check out the web site listed below:

Thanks for the question!