The Q&A Archives: Spacing Rows in a Vegetable Garden

Question: I built a vegetable garden 48 ft x 32 ft; what's the best spacing for the rows, how wide and high should the rows be? Robert Williams St. Augustine, FL

Answer: The spacing in your vegetable garden all depends on what you're groing. Between rows I like to space at least 3 feet apart so I can wheel a garden cart or wheelbarrow through the garden. If you don't have that need, 2 feet apart is fine. Between plants in rows depends on the crops. Tomatoes need at least 2 feet between plants, peppers, broccoli, lettuce about 1 foot, cucumbers 3-4 feet depedning on whether it's a bush or vining variety. Winter squash 5 plus feet, summer squash 3 feet. Check the seed packages for spacing of these and other plants.