The Q&A Archives: Watering Clivia Blooming in December

Question: I purchased a yellow Clivia the first week in December, about three weeks ago. I placed it in a cool room and I have not watered it, as I thought it was in its resting phase. I have just noticed that it is going to bloom. Since it is blooming so early, I am not sure about how to water. Should I still just water when the soil is completely dry or does it need more moisture to support the blooms?

Answer: I wouldn't let it get completely dry, but neither would I keep it soggy. You should water it enough to wet the soil well and then allow it to dry a bit to bring air back into the soil before rewatering. Once or twice a week should be adequate in it's cool, indoor location.

Make sure it is getting plenty of light. Enjoy your beautiful flowering plant. Thanks for the question!