The Q&A Archives: Grape Tomatoes

Question: I recently purchased at a local grocery store a new type of tomatoes, they are called grape tomatoes and were located right next to the stand were other variety of tomatoes are. They are the size of grapes but look like and taste like regular tomatoes. But actually they taste better there are not many seeds and they are as fresh and sweet as can be. So my question is this: Have you ever heard of these tomatoes, are they new, where do they come from (cross breeds), will you guys have seeds to sell so I can grow these myself and what size are the plants. I know that the are definitely not cherry tomatoes

Answer: The grape-like tomatoes are hybrids and some of the varieties have been recently adopted by the commercial market, particularly because they do taste so good. Burpee offers the variety Juliet which forms "grape like clusters of petite sweeties" on large vines. Although you might not believe it, it is actually a form of cherry tomato!