The Q&A Archives: Veggies for Low Sunlight

Question: My only location for a vegetable garden receives only one hour of direct sunlight. The rest of the day is diffused, but not shaded. Are there any veggies that will grow under these conditions?

Answer: I've tried to garden in such conditions myself, and I must say that those conditions are not going to support growth and production of most vegetable garden plants. You may have some success with leafy greens, but fruiting and root crops will not have enough light.

Your other options include: 1) Plant in containers in a sunnier location. 2) Trim the canopy of the trees by removing selected limbs where they attach to other limbs. This will brighten the area without harming the trees or eliminating the shade altogether.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the question.