The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Gardening

Question: I would like to plant vegetables on the north side of my house (the only space I have). However, the site is not sunny all day -- probably about six hours. Can you recommend some vegetables that would thrive here?

Answer: Six hours of daily sunshine will support quite a number of veggies. You'll do best with those that don't require flowering to produce fruit. Lettuce, carrots, radish, scallions, spinach, turnips and cabbage are a few that will thrive in a partially sunny site. You might also try peas, beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Cucumbers may be marginal, but you'd probably not have much success with the real sun-lovers, such as tomatoes, peppers, squash and melons. If you can integrate these crops into other flower beds and borders that receive all day sunshine, the double-duty garden spot will allow you to harvest warm-season, sun-loving veggies. Give the above a try - you might be pleasantly surprised what you can grow in your garden.