The Q&A Archives: Re-Using Last Year's Soil

Question: I have been gardening for years, both vegetable and herbs. My husband got me a beautiful plant stand with terra cotta pots. My herbs did very well in these pots and I wanted to know if the soil from last year is ok to use again or should I fill them with fresh soil? I ordered all my seeds and Burpee is the best. Karen Lorentz Coatesville, PA

Answer: Thanks for the kind words. You should always start the year with fresh soil in containers. Not only because the soil may have accumulated insects and diseases from last year, but also it is compacted and any nutrients that were in the container soil are probably all washed away. Start fresh and you'll be guaranteed success with this year's herb crop. It would also help to wash the containers with soapy water before planting to disinfect them..