The Q&A Archives: Differences Between Pumpkin

Question: I need to know the scientific differences between pumpkin seeds and squash seeds for my horticulture judging team. I also need to know the difference between beet seeds and swiss chard? Is there a difference between the pumpkin fruit and the squash fruit? Also is there a source out there for garlic seeds and rhubarb seeds? Daniel Overstreet Severn, MD

Answer: Pumpkins are a type of squash. They tend to be in the species 'pepo' or 'maxima', while the different types of squash are in these species as well as 'mixta' and 'moschata'. I don't know how to tell the seeds apart. Beets and swiss chard are in the same genus and species (Beta vulgars), but different groups (beets- Crassa group, Swiss chard- Cicla Group). Again it's hard to tell the seed apart with the naked eye. I believe pumpkin fruit tend to have a fluted stem, while squash are hard stemmed. I don't know a source for garlic and rhubarb SEED. I know many sources of plants and bulbs if you need those.