The Q&A Archives: Variegated English Holly Berries

Question: I have 3 female variegated English holly shrubs, all 3 had some berries this year, very few though. I would like to purchase a male, as I heard that having one in close proximity would improve the berry production. Is this true ?
If so I need a source/supplier for a male pollinator plant.

Answer: It is possible that a male pollinator would increase the berry production on your holly trees somewhat, although it is also possible that production will just naturally increase as the plants mature. (English hollies (Ilex aquifolium) as a group are slow to produce heavy crops.) It is also possible that there is already a suitable pollinator in the surrounding neighborhood. In any case, the nursery where you bought the three you have should be able to supply you with an appropriate pollinator.

The following companies sell a selection of hollies; ask their customer service department which holly would be the best choice, since the plants need to be compatible.

Carroll Gardens (Maryland) 800-638-6334

Greer Gardens (Oregon) 800-548-0111 or 541-686-8266.

Good luck!