The Q&A Archives: Moonflower Seed

Question: Last year I harvested a lot of seed from my moonflowers and would like to know of any tips for germination. Someone suggested freezing them for a couple of weeks. What do you recommend? I know that the seed must be knicked and soaked overnight, but am unsure of the freezing.

Answer: To facilitate germination it is advisable to cut a little notch in each with a file or to rub them between sandpaper blocks to remove some of the seed coat. I find both to be tedious, frustrating and at times, injurious!

After nicking the seed coat, soak for 24 hours in water that starts off "hand hot". Remove from the water and plant immediately in a peaty mix.

I have not heard freezing as a recommended practice to improve germination of moonflower seeds.

Good luck with your seeds!