The Q&A Archives: Mulch for Container Gardening

Question: Since my relocation in North-East New Jersey, I can not plant the traditional garden plot. This year, I am attempting to grow a few tomatoes, bell and fryer peppers and some pole beans in 14 plastic pots on a flat roof of my house. The location gets great sun, 8-9 hours, and temperatures can easly rise to 120F. The plants are growing fine (so far). My question relates to the suggested mulch to use in order to slow the evaporation of moisture down. On days of no rain I find I am giving them approx. 1 gal. per day per pot. Any other helpful hints would also be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Any mulch used in the garden can be used for container conditions. Commercial packaged mulches (not decorative bark ) are fine. Tomatoes and peppers are fine container plants as long as the container is truly big enoough to accomodate the root system. One plant each per 5-gallon or larger container (a whiskey barrel is very nice) is minimum. Beans, by the way, are not happy container subjects.