The Q&A Archives: Dames Rocket

Question: Our neighbors have a great display of white, purple and rose colored flowers about 2.5' tall each spring. They told me they are "dames Rocket" but I have not been able to buy seeds any place. Any advice?

Thank you!

Answer: Dame's Rocket is available from Thompson & Morgan Seed Co., ph. 1-800-274-7333. A little info: Dame's Rocket is Hesperis matronalis, an old-fashioned, cottage garden plant, that grows to 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide. It has 4 inch toothed leaves and rounded clusters of 1/2 inch, four-petaled, lavender to purple flowers that are fragrant at night. White and double-flowering forms exist but are rare. Plant your seeds in ordinary garden soil in sun or light shade and water regularly. The plants self-sow readily.