The Q&A Archives: Germinating Phlox and Gilia Seeds

Question: I have three seed packages which I would like to start indoors for spring blooms. I have both perennial and annual Phlox seeds. One has a germination temperature of 55 degrees F. The other does not have any instructions at all. Are they surface sown or do they require light to germinate? The Gilia seeds have a germinating temp. of 60 degrees F. Is that correct and are they surface sown?

Answer: It is probably the annual phlox that gives a germination temp of 55 degrees. It doesn't need light to germinate, but due to small seed size is only planted about 1/16 inch deep.

Perennial phlox germinates best at about 70 degrees and doesn't need light. Sow it at 1/16 inch also. It will most likely take longer to germinate.

Gilia is a hardy annual. It is commonly sown outdoors from fall to early spring. It can be grown indoors in a cool location. Cover seeds only about 1/8 inch.

Thanks for the question!