The Q&A Archives: ABC Garden for children at school

Question: I am the sponsor of a Garden Club at our elementary school. I also teach first grade. The First Graders try to grow an ABC Garden each year, and sometimes I have a difficult time finding plants for every letter of the alphabet. The older children in the club try to plant vegetables that come from every continent. We really have trouble finding something to plant from Australia. Advice from you would be appreciated. Our school really enjoys gardening.

Answer: Brachyscome (swan river daisy), Helipterum (everlastings), Helichrysum (strawflowers), and Trachymene coerulea (blue lace flower) are all flowers native to Australia. You could also grow New Zealand spinach, if that's appropriate.

As far as an ABC garden, let me know what letters you are missing, and I can try to help you out. (Maybe we can "cheat" a little and use the botanical name!)

Also, have you checked out the National Gardening Association's Web site? ( Click on the "Kids and Gardening" section for lots of great ideas for gardening with children.