The Q&A Archives: Deterring Rabbits in the Garden

Question: We have just moved to Wisconsin in a country area where both my wife and I enjoy gardening. We have a problem with rabbits eating our flowers and have tried repellents with limited success. We have heard that there are some plants that rabbits will not eat such as marigolds. Could you tell us or refer us to a list of plants that rabbits won't eat or are not attracted to? Glenn MacGeorge Waukesha, WI

Answer: The Easter bunny's in your garden heh? Well, they like to munch on almost any tender new plant. Once a plant is older, they'll leave it alone. So the key is to plant tough or hairy-leaved plants such as cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, potatoes amd peppers or to protect young tender plants with row covers, repellents and barriers such as fences.