The Q&A Archives: Largest Varieties of Pumpkins, Sun Flowers, Pole Beans, Morning Glory

Question: I'm researching a short article for FamilyFun Magazine about gardening with kids, specifically growing BIG things: the heaviest pumpkins, tallest sun flowers, longest pole beans, longest morning glories, and so on. Do you have recommendations for specific varieties that 1) are easy for families to grow and 2) produce the biggest specimens? I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks. Jon Adolph Northampton, MA

Answer: Nice idea for an article! Here's a few tips. The largest pumpkins tedn to be the 'Atlantic Giant' variety. These are the ones to break the 1,000 pound mark last summer. Tallest sunflower could be the 'Mammoth Russian' or Burpee's 'Paul Bunyan'.For the longest bean variety I'd grow the 'Scarlet Runner'. Heaviest tomato try the 'Delicious'. For the largest pepper try 'Peto Wonder'. I hope this helps. Give me a call if you need more information. (802-863-1308)

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"