The Q&A Archives: Choosing a Mulch

Question: I am about to remulch my flower bed and can't decide what type of mulch to use. I currently have shreaded pine bark on the bed now. I am trying to find out which of the following mulches is better to use: cypress mulch, shredded cypress mulch (non float), pine needles or shreaded pine bark. I have been told that cypress mulch is not a good choice, is this correct? Also should I remove the old layer of mulch before putting new one. Bed includes azaleas, sweet olive, lantanas, lilis, iris, bottlebrush, etc.

Answer: All the mulches you mentioned would work fine. I think sometimes garden advice majors on the minor points. Let's say it's "mulch ado about nothing!" While each mulch has pro's and con's, in the end, they all will do their purpose. Cost and availability are the main considerations. Among those available, go with what you like the looks of best.

Regarding removing the old mulch, I would leave it and just add new on top as needed. In time that old mulch will become rich garden soil, the way the forest was designed to work!

Thanks for the question.