The Q&A Archives: Groundhog Repellant

Question: Looking for suggestions on ways to keep groundhogs away from my veggies next spring & summer. Last summer my garden became a salad bar. Big dog (Rottweiler) didn't work.

Answer: To be honest, there are many home remedy deterrents such as hot pepper flakes and so on but in my experience they are not effective over time. In some instances a tall fence which also runs a distance underground is effective (although they may decide to climb it or tunnel under it) but the only definitive answer is to remove the animals. They can be trapped with a live trap and relocated, depending on local ordinances and restrictions. You might wish to call in a professional to do this because groundhogs are wild and unpredictable animals and can be very dangerous in addition to doing a lot of damage to your garden.