The Q&A Archives: Herbs

Question: I have a plot in my backyard which I hope to use to grow decorative and edible herbs or other plants. I don't know what would be the best to try and am hoping you can help. We have a rather short growing season in Minnesota and the plot is located in front of a large lilac hedge to the north and a large pine tree to the south. Unfortunately there is limited sun available. The ground is somewhat clay based and well drained. We are going to section it so that there will be about one foot square space for each herb or plant. Any suggestion of plants which would grow well in the shady area? L.K.Looser Oakdale, MN

Answer: It will be tough to grow herbs in the shade but if you want to try, plant parsley, mint and sage. Other annual and perennial plants that will grow very well in shade include hosta, astilbe, forget-me-nots, ferns, begonias, impatiens, sweet woodruff andlily-of-the-valley. Check your local nursery for other shade gardening ideas for Minnesota.